Monday, August 3, 2009

memory lane monday

See this spot? It may have no significance to any of you, but there is definitely a story that goes along with this little grassy patch. You see, I would sometimes ride my bike to school as a child. One day, as I was leaving school when I was 8- or 9-years-old, I felt the need to go to the bathroom. I didn't want to get left behind by my friends so I figured I would just go when I got home. Well, somewhere along the way I realized that I wasn't going to make it. As a million embarrassing scenarios crossed my mind, I did the only thing I could think of.

I slowed down my pedaling so that my friends would just leave me behind and stopped at the church hoping and praying that it would be unlocked. No such luck. So I ran over to this grassy patch in the parking lot, sat down under the big tree (there used to be a tree there), and pretended like I was just relaxing. A couple of other kids rode past on their bikes while I was sitting there and asked what I was doing. I told them I was tired and just needed to rest (I'm not sure how believable this was considering I was only 2 blocks away from home at this point). A moment later, feeling completely relieved, I got back on my bike and pedaled the rest of the way home.

When I got home a group of kids were already outside playing. Seeing my wet shorts they yelled, "Natalia peed her pants!" I couldn't let this be the defining moment in my childhood, so my response was, "No I didn't, I sat on the grass and it was wet!"

 
Template by mylolly.com